Inventory of Government-Based Family Justice Services

Child's Lawyer (Yukon)


Type of service
Services for Children

Services offered
Either party in a custody or access dispute (or in child protection proceedings) may request separate representation for children through the Court. The Court may make such a recommendation in the Order. The order is forwarded to the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee who may appoint counsel for the child(ren).

A private lawyer may be retained for the child(ren) and paid for by the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee.

Pilot or ongoing service

Department responsible
Yukon Department of Justice, Court and Regulatory Services

How to access this service
See « Services offered » above.

All across Yukon
[ Service(s) offered ]


Guidelines for Child's Lawyer Practicing in the Yukon

Varies according to the situation.

Governing legislation/legislative authority
Child & Family Services Act, section 76

Public Guardian and Trustee Act, section 4

Contact person(s)
Public Guardian & Trustee
Department of Justice, Government of Yukon
3rd Floor, Andrew A. Philipsen Law Centre
2134 Second Ave., Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 5H6
Phone: 867-667-5366
Toll-free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5366

Date modified: