Public Views on the Anti-Terrorism Act
(formerly Bill C-36)
MILLWARD BROWN GOLDFARB
January 28, 2004
Good morning/ afternoon/ evening. This is from Millward Brown Goldfarb, an independent research firm. We are conducting a study on behalf of the Department of Justice Canada with people in the area. We are not selling anything, rather we are simply interested in your attitudes and opinions. May I have a few moments of your time? I need to speak to someone in the household who is over 18 years old.
Once respondent is on the phone, reintroduce.
- We are interested in people's occupations. Do you, or does anyone living in your household work for any of the following? (Yes / No)
- Advertising agency
- Radio or television station
- Market or opinion research company
- Any government department
- Lobbying group
"YES"TO ANY OF THE ABOVE THANK AND TERMINATE
(Recruiter Note: The lobbying group could be groups such as Civil Rights Advocates, Arab Federation representatives)
- In which of the following age groups do you belong? [READ LIST, CHECK ONE]
- Under 18 - THANK AND TERMINATE
- 18 - 24 - GROUP 1
- 25 - 29 - GROUP 1
- 30 - 39 - GROUP 1
- 40 - 49 - GROUP 2
- 50 - 59 - GROUP 2
- 60 or older - GROUP 2
- Refused / Don't know - [DO NOT READ] THANK AND TERMINATE
ENSURE GOOD MIX OF AGES IN GROUPS 1 AND 2.
CHECK GENDER QUOTAS
- In which of the following classifications does your total household before taxes income fall? [READ LIST, CHECK ONE]
- Under $25,000
- $25,000 - $39,999
- $40,000 - $49,999
- $50,000 - $74,999
- $75,000 - or more
- Refused / Don't know - [DO NOT READ]
ENSURE GOOD MIX OF INCOME GROUPS.
- What is the highest level of formal education you have completed? [DO NOT READ]
- Primary school - TERMINATE
- Some high/ secondary school / CGEP
- Graduated high/ secondary school / CGEP
- Some community college technical college/ CEGEP
- Graduated community college/ technical college/ CEGEP
- Some undergraduate university
- Graduated university or more
- Other - TERMINATE
- DK/Refused - TERMINATE
ENSURE GOOD MIX OF THE QUALIFYING CATEGORIES.
READ THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH AND ENSURE THAT PARTICIPANT IS OUTGOING, ARTICULATE, AND NOT INTIMIDATED SPEAKING IN A GROUP SETTING.
We would like to extend an invitation to you to attend an opinion research session on behalf of the Department of Justice Canada. Please note that we will be discussing potentially sensitive issues during the session. The session is scheduled for [DATE] at [LOCATION AND TIME] and will last about 2 hours. There will be absolutely no attempt to sell anything. We are interested only in your thoughts and opinions. We think it will be enjoyable and you would receive $50.
Would you be interested in participating?
- No - TERMINATE
WILL ATTEND GROUP:DATE: TIME:
- Date modified: