Review of Provincial and Territorial Domestic Violence Legislation and Implementation Strategies

PART II. A COMPARISON OF KEY CLAUSES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ACTS AND REGULATIONS

In order to present the full content, this page exceeds our site's normal dimensions.

Table 1. A Comparison of Key Clauses of Domestic Violence Acts and Regulations
Item Compared Jurisdiction
Saskatchewan (The Victims of Domestic Violence Act) (proclaimed Feb, 1995) PEI (Victims of Family Violence Act) (proclaimed Dec, 1996) Yukon (Family Violence Protection Act) (proclaimed Nov, 1999) Alberta (Protection Against Family Violence Act) (proclaimed June, 1999) Manitoba (The Domestic Violence and Stalking Prevention, Protection and Compensation Act) (proclaimed Sep, 1999)
1. Definition of Relationship[1] 2(a) “cohabitants” means:(i) persons who have resided together or who are residing together in a family relationship, spousal relationship or intimate relationship; or(ii) persons who are the parents of one or more children, regardless of their marital status or whether they have lived together at any time; 1(a) ”child” means a child who ordinarily or periodically resides with the victim, is under the age of eighteen years and unmarried, whether or not the child is a child of the victim and the respondent or of either of them, and includes a foster child or a child in actual care and custody of the victim;(d) “family relationship” means a relationship between:(i) a man and a woman who are or have been married to each other or have cohabited in a spousal or sexual relationship; or(ii) members of the same family. 1 In this Act:"cohabitants" means:(a) persons who have resided together or who are residing together in a family relationship, spousal relationship or intimate relationship; or(b) persons who are the parents of one or more children, regardless of their marital status or whether theyhave lived together at any time; "intimate companions" means persons who have, or have had with each other a continuing relationship ofintimate companionship; 1(d)“family members” means (i) a man and a woman who are or have been married to one another or who are residing or have resided together in an intimate relationship,(ii) persons who are the parents of one or more children, regardless of their marital status or whether they have lived together at any time,(iii) persons who reside together and are related to one or more persons in the household by blood, marriage or adoption,(iv) any children in the care and custody of a person referred to in subclauses (i) to (iii), or(v) persons who reside together where one of the persons has care and custody over the other pursuant to an order of the court; 1 "cohabitants" means (a)persons who reside together or have resided together in a family, spousal or intimate relationship, or(b)the persons who are the biological or adoptive parents of a child, regardless of their marital status or whether they have lived together at any time;

Date modified: