The Council of the Atikamekw of Opitciwan has entered into a contribution agreement with the Department of Justice Canada to manage the Council of Opitciwan's Elders Program. The purpose of the Opitciwan social justice committee is to:
- Restore harmony and balance in the community;
- Promote the participation of community members in and make them responsible for the restoration of harmony;
- Develop a justice system that includes more elements from the Atikamekw culture and the circle vision of Aboriginal peoples;
- Provide rapid responses to crimes and conflicts that are based on Atikamekw values, needs, realities and traditions specific to the Opitciwan community; and
- Promote the adoption of peaceful behaviours.