The Listuguj Mi'gmaq Government has entered into a contribution agreement with the Department of Justice Canada to manage the Restorative Community Justice Program. The goals of the Listuguj Justice Committee are as follows:
- To participate in the administration of justice while using approaches which put emphasis on healing individuals, families and the community and which deal with the underlying causes of problems in the community rather than just the symptoms;
- To address social and criminal conflicts through holistic and balanced mechanisms; including offenders, victims, families and community;
- To increase the number of cases diverted to the Listuguj Justice Committee rather than only managing crime using the mainstream justice system;
- To promote peaceful and harmonious relationships and respect of socially accepted behaviours in the community through various means; and
- To empower Mi'gmaq people.